Communications Strategist at Blueprint North Carolina
Blueprint NC seeks an accomplished and innovative communication strategist to lead in developing shared messaging narratives and coach public storytellers across North Carolina. In addition to a deep understanding of traditional and new media, the successful candidate will have an organizers’ mentality, a passion for movement-building and the heart of a teacher.
The communications strategist will work alongside a stellar staff and with our partner organizations to direct and coordinate strategies to shift the public dialogue to one that values collective solutions and the role that government can play in building a more equitable North Carolina.
- Design and implement experiments in collective impact to advance shared messaging amongst a diverse partnership to shift the public dialogue in NC.
- Support partners integrating our shared messaging framework into their grassroots and media work
- Identify opportunities for partners to innovate in deploying intersectional messaging in traditional and new media
- Provide top-notch programmatic support to table partners through work groups or other program design by:
- Leading partners in the co-development and implementation of messaging campaigns with measurable goals and clear evaluation strategies
- Facilitating meetings with partners working on diverse issues
- Coordinating follow-up to ensure work moves forward and goals are met
- Translate communications research into practical messaging strategies
- Lead workshops and other training opportunities to develop a cadre of public storytellers across the state
- Work with Blueprint NC partners to create winning digital and social media strategies
- Edit internal communications, including grant proposals and a monthly newsletter
- Maintain and distribute a statewide media list
- Provide on-demand coaching and strategic guidance for traditional news media relations to include:
- Reviewing news story pitches, news releases and op-ed columns
- Advising role in planning partner organizations’ press events and editorial board meetings
- Connecting reporters and public spokespeople
- A demonstrated commitment to the shared values of Blueprint NC organizations and some experience working for social justice
- Proven ability to work with a large and diverse cross-section of populations and a commitment to anti-racism, anti-sexism and anti-homophobia
- A clear vision and theory of change for achieving equity through collective action
- An understanding of trends in public discourse and policy making
- Cumulative 3-5 years experience in two or more of the following:
- policy, advocacy, electoral or organizing campaigns
- journalism, public relations or advocacy communications
- conducting or analyzing public opinion polling or focus groups
- project/program management
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communications abilities
- Good personal organization, time management and planning skills
- Dedicated team player with abilities to work with staff, board, and partner organizations
- A passion for learning and helping others as a teacher, coach and cheerleader
- Position is based in Raleigh, but some North Carolina travel is required.
- Fluency with digital and social media platforms as instruments for social change
- Familiarity with North Carolina news media -- print, broadcast and online
- An understanding and appreciation of North Carolina, including its history, politics and unique regional distinctions
This is a full-time, exempt position. Compensation is competitive and negotiable depending on background and experience in a range of $55,000 to $70,000 and includes an excellent full benefits package.
Please send a resume, answers to the essay questions below, salary requirements, and three references to email@example.com, with the subject line: “Comms Strategist Application” and your name. Please send these documents as a single PDF document and title the PDF with your first and last name. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Women, people of color, queer and trans folks, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Essay questions: (max 1 page total)
If you had to choose a winner in the public policy dialogue, what narratives are winning? Who are the major actors? Who are the influencers?
What strategies should communicators and organizers fighting for equity be using in the long-term battle for hearts and minds? How do our short-term campaigns fit into that?
About Blueprint NC:
Blueprint NC is a partnership of public policy, advocacy, and grassroots organizing groups dedicated to achieving a better, fairer, healthier North Carolina through an integrated communications, civic engagement, and policy strategy.
Our 43 partner organizations represent a diverse range of issues, including the environment, poverty, community development, reproductive rights, immigrant rights, education, criminal justice, and more. We are united by a commitment to race equity and collective impact and the shared values of justice, equity, responsibility, fairness, community, opportunity, shared prosperity, democracy, and hope. We believe organizations must work together across race and issue silos to improve the quality of life for all North Carolinians.
Voter Registration Quality Control Associate
Hours & Compensation: Temporary Part-Time position at $15/hour, 15-30 hours per week. Position lasts from hire date in August until October 2017. Office is located in Raleigh, NC off Route 70 near Crabtree Valley Mall.
Seeking a part-time staff person for Voter Registration Quality Control office. The role of this position is to assist our full-time Quality Control staff in running a system to check the accuracy and quality of Voter Registration applications coming in from our partner organizations. The job includes the daily use of tracking software, database, and phone systems, and requires someone with fantastic communication skills.
The daily job duties are made up of 1. Data Entry and 2. Verification phone calls. The person selected will need to be able to conduct professional phone calls while sticking to a script, as well as have the ability to enter data accurately and quickly from online forms into an online database.
Comfortable making a large volume of phone calls, and speaking with a diverse population of people
Friendly and personable - in person and on the phone
Acute attention to detail - catching errors is the biggest task of this job
Proficiency in data entry and comfortable learning new software quickly.
Ability to communicate via phone, email and in person in a clear and efficient manner
Punctual - able to complete daily projects on or before their due date consistently and report to office on time
Application Deadline: Position is open until filled. Please apply by sending your resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read “QC associate application.”